I was scanning around LZRD WZRD, one of my favorite Youtubers, watching his video on Shadowclan, when I saw there was a new video on his channel. This video was about amendments to the warrior code. YES!! I hurried through his video, where he proposed The Convention Of Cats, where warriors fans make changes to the code and help to improve it, while still keeping to the warriors spirit. You can watch the amendment he came up with, but I’m going to discuss different amendment ideas I’ve seen and how the Hunters have written such an intriguing list of laws, along with how you can make sure a great constitution of rules as well.
My own idea stems from the 14th code of the warrior code- An honorable warrior does not need to kill other cats to win their battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or if it is necessary for self-defense.
This law has two major flaws. It allows warriors to kill innocent loners and kittypets who stumble into the territory. This is what caused poor Tiny to become Scourge, form Bloodclan, and become a cat who this rule was made for. It didn’t have to happen. Warriors should defend territory, but they should also know when to tell a cat to leave and not attack.
It also accounts for another horrible act- clan murder. All a cat has to do is kill another cat alone and they can claim it was in self defense. No investigation needed. So the rule I suggested was:
To preserve the morals of individual clan cats, honorable warriors should not kill to win battles. If a cat kills another, the killer must justify their action to the clan, with an investigation to follow.
Good, right? Here are a few other examples of amendments the code could take.
- flakeywhiskers- If a medicine cat has fully apprenticed another cat, they are allowed to have mates
- Iggy Jaystar- Kits should be allowed to leave camp as long as their mother or father accompanies them in order to prevent wild and dangerous exploration. If one or both parents are dead, a responsible warrior can escort the kit.
- Cutecatlover11502RBX- If a cat outside the clans wants to join a clan, a panel of senior warriors, including the medicine cat, the deputy, and the leader will make the cat take a series of tests, then decide if they are able to join. Final desicion comes to a clan vote. This is so that the leader cannot let anyone join the clan.
- dewshi- If a cat outside the clans wants to join, they are given two moons as a try out time to see if they can provide for the clan. If they cannot, they must leave. If they can, they are accepted as a full member of the clan.
- Flower1815- No cat should be denied the chance to be a warrior, even with injuries and disabilities.
These are my favorite examples at the moment, and all present an interesting argument!
Since this blog isn’t totally devoted to fandoms and cats, I have to talk about writing somewhere. So today that would be the laws of fictional worlds. The Hunters created a fascinating set of laws that drive the heart of every warrior cats story. These laws have been broken time and time again, causing unique conflicts related to law and religion. When you write a list of laws, you need to nail down the big basics. These are rules against things such as
And other major crimes. These laws present themselves as territory rules, leadership rules, and the all important 14th code. You can also add in what I call ‘Extensions’, things that are okay in some societies but not in yours!
- Marital laws. In Warriors, medicine cats cannot have mates or kits. Maybe there’s a group of people in your book who this could apply to!
- Authority laws. Who is placed in power? What laws keep people in check in their spot? In the warrior code, this includes who gets food first, leadership ascension, and leadership dominace.
- Outsider laws. How do you deal with those not from the world these rules apply to? Are you friendly or hostile?
- Military Laws. What laws are in place for the military and veterans? How do countries fight? What can you do on the battle field?
These are only a few types of laws. Add as many as you want, but make sure to have a reason and history behind them!
As for the warrior code, it is the most well written set of laws I’ve seen in fiction, filled with good and bad parts to use in the story. If you have any amendments to the warrior code you want to make, comment below or tell LZRD WZRD about them on YouTube. Talk to you soon.